For shame. The US House of Representatives has passed HR 2594, a bill that would literally ban American airlines from following European Union climate pollution laws. It passed by voice vote, meaning there’s no record of each representative’s position. If this legislation gains traction in the Senate, it might spark a trade war with the European Union.
Dirty aviation: 1. Humanity: 0
- U.S. House bans EU ETS participation (Air Cargo World)
- U.S. Vote on EU Aviation Plan May Trigger Trade War, Lobby Says (BusinessWeek)
- U.S. House passes bill to make it illegal for U.S. airlines to comply with EU law to cut aviation emissions (EDF)
- House to vote on bill that tries to move us closer to a trade war with the EU over aviation’s carbon pollution: bill should be rejected (NRDC)
- House Passes Bill Challenging Application of EU ETS to American Carriers – Will It Fly? (Climate Lawyers)